We're Sorry. Purdue University Northwest's online programs are unavailable in your area.
ONLINE RN-TO-BSN ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
PNW Online RN-to-BSN Admissions Requirements
Only applicants from Indiana, Illinois or Wisconsin, or Purdue Northwest alumni are authorized to enroll in the online RN-to-BSN program.
Applicants must have:
- Graduated from a regionally accredited institution
- Completed a nursing program that had national nursing accreditation at the time of attendance and graduation (ACEN, NCEA or CCNE)
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing: ACEN (formerly NLNAC) is a national accrediting body that provides accreditation to diploma and associate's degree programs. A list of ACEN-accredited nursing programs can be found on the ACEN website (http://www.acenursing.org).
- National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation: CNEA is a national accrediting body that provides accreditation to LPN/LVN, diploma, and associate's degree programs. A list of CNEA-accredited nursing programs can be found on the CNEA website (http://www.nln.org/accreditation-services)
- Active licensure as a registered nurse
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.3 from an accredited associate's degree or diploma program in nursing. Applicants with a GPA between 2.0 and 2.29 may submit a petition letter to the director of the online program that will be reviewed by the RN-to-BSN Admission, Progression and Graduation Committee and documents the following:
- What circumstances caused the low GPA?
- What is different now to control those issues?
- What mechanisms are in place to ensure academic success?
- A list of career/employment accomplishments
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores may apply if applicant's native/first language is not English and the applicant does not hold a bachelor's degree or higher degree.
Purdue Northwest ADN alumni residing outside of Indiana, Illinois or Wisconsin must confirm that PNW is authorized for online higher education in that particular state. Current students who, after being accepted, move to a state where PNW is not approved for online higher education must receive state Board of Nursing authorization to continue in the program. Current students and alumni can confirm their state's online education status by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer Credit and Transcripts
Transferring Credits From Another RN-to-BSN Program
At least 32 credit hours at the 300 level or higher must be completed at PNW. The 34 credit hours in the nursing core courses fulfill that requirement. Applicants wishing to transfer nursing coursework in at the 300 level may not (in most cases) be able to do so because of our residency rule. Such requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
To enroll as well as to apply for transfer credit, you will need to request your official transcripts be sent to PNW. We accept electronic transcripts so long as they are sent to us directly by your respective college and/or university.
Send transcripts to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Nils K. Nelson Bioscience Innovation Building, Room 225
Purdue University Northwest
2200 169th Street
Hammond, IN 46323-2094
Upon admission to the University, students must submit all official transcripts from all previous schools attended. These transcripts are factored into a cumulative GPA, which must be a 2.3 or higher to gain admission to the program. Transcripts that were not presented at the time of admission will not be accepted by the College of Nursing and will not be applied toward transfer credit.
Upcoming Start Dates
Calendar and Enrollment Deadlines
View the Carousel of Nursing Courses.
January 11, 2021
Application Deadline: 12/10/2020
Documents Deadline: 12/16/2020
Registration Deadline: 1/4/2021
Tuition Deadline: 1/8/2021
February 22, 2021
Application Deadline: 1/27/2021
Documents Deadline: 2/2/2021
Registration Deadline: 2/15/2021
Tuition Deadline: 2/19/2021
April 5, 2021
Application Deadline: 3/10/2021
Documents Deadline: 3/16/2021
Registration Deadline: 3/29/2021
Tuition Deadline: 4/2/2021
May 17, 2021
Application Deadline: 4/21/2021
Documents Deadline: 4/27/2021
Registration Deadline: 5/10/2021
Tuition Deadline: 5/14/2021
RN-to-BSN Admissions FAQs
How many start dates are there each year?
There are eight start dates each year.
What is the Partnership Code?
If you are employed at a partner hospital, the Partnership Code must be entered on your application along with the name of your employer.
How do I know if I have been accepted into the program?
You will receive an email from Purdue University Northwest Admissions with your student portal login information and password.
If I am accepted into the program, but do not immediately enroll, do I need to reapply and submit another application fee to get started?
No. Your application is good for one calendar year. You can enroll at any start date within that period.
Are only full-time hospital employees eligible to enroll?
No. You may enroll if you are a full-time or part-time employee.
How do I know which of my courses are going to transfer?
Purdue University Northwest accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited institutions. After you have been admitted to the program, an audit is conducted by your academic advisor to determine which program requirements, if any, are outstanding.
Upon admission, you can review your unofficial transcript in the PNW portal, which will display all transfer credits accepted by the University, based on your submitted transcripts.
Please note: You may choose courses from other schools and submit them to the advisor for review to determine whether the courses you are considering will fulfill the specific requirements needed at PNW.
For your PNW academic advisor to review and/or confirm that the course(s) would fulfill the requirements, you must submit the following information:
- Name of the school(s)
- Course number(s) and title(s)
- Course description(s) from college catalog(s)
If you have additional questions about confirmation/review of transfer credits from other schools to the PNW RN-to-BSN program, please refer your questions to your PNW academic advisor.