ONLINE RN-TO-BSN ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
Each Purdue University Northwest degree program has specific requirements that you must meet in order to enroll. Please read the admissions guidelines for the RN-to-BSN program listed below. For specific questions or more details, view our admissions FAQs or the RN-to-BSN Student Handbook.
Transfer Credit and Transcripts
Transferring Credits From Another RN-to-BSN Program
At least 32 credit hours at the 300 level or higher must be completed at PNW. The 34 credit hours in the nursing core courses fulfill that requirement. Applicants wishing to transfer nursing coursework in at the 300 level may not (in most cases) be able to do so because of our residency rule. Such requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
To enroll as well as to apply for transfer credit, you will need to request your official transcripts be sent to PNW. We accept electronic transcripts so long as they are sent to us directly by your respective college and/or university.
Send transcripts to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Classroom Office Building (CLO), Room 316
Purdue University Northwest
2200 169th Street
Hammond, IN 46323-2094
Full Disclosure Policy
Upon admission to the University, students must submit all official transcripts from all previous schools attended. These transcripts are factored into a cumulative GPA, which must be a 2.3 or higher to gain admission to the program. Transcripts that were not presented at the time of admission will not be accepted by the College of Nursing and will not be applied toward transfer credit.
PNW Online RN-to-BSN Admissions Requirements
Only applicants from Indiana, Illinois or Wisconsin, or Purdue Northwest alumni are authorized to enroll in the online RN-to-BSN program.
Applicants must have:
- Graduated from a regionally accredited institution
- Completed a nursing program that had national nursing accreditation at the time of attendance and graduation (ACEN, NCEA or CCNE)
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing: ACEN (formerly NLNAC) is a national accrediting body that provides accreditation to diploma and associate's degree programs. A list of ACEN-accredited nursing programs can be found on the ACEN website (http://www.acenursing.org).
- National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation: CNEA is a national accrediting body that provides accreditation to LPN/LVN, diploma, and associate's degree programs. A list of CNEA-accredited nursing programs can be found on the CNEA website (http://www.nln.org/accreditation-services)
- Active licensure as a registered nurse
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.3 from an accredited associate's degree or diploma program in nursing. Applicants with a GPA between 2.0 and 2.29 may submit a petition letter to the director of the online program that will be reviewed by the RN-to-BSN Admission, Progression and Graduation Committee and documents the following:
- What circumstances caused the low GPA?
- What is different now to control those issues?
- What mechanisms are in place to ensure academic success?
- A list of career/employment accomplishments
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores may apply if applicant's native/first language is not English and the applicant does not hold a bachelor's degree or higher degree.
Purdue Northwest ADN alumni residing outside of Indiana, Illinois or Wisconsin must confirm that PNW is authorized for online higher education in that particular state. Current students who, after being accepted, move to a state where PNW is not approved for online higher education must receive state Board of Nursing authorization to continue in the program. Current students and alumni can confirm their state's online education status by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Start Dates
Calendar and Enrollment Deadlines
View the Carousel of Nursing Courses.
April 6, 2020
Application Deadline: 3/11/2020
Documents Deadline: 3/17/2020
Registration Deadline: 3/30/2020
Tuition Deadline: 4/3/2020
May 18, 2020
Application Deadline: 4/22/2020
Documents Deadline: 4/28/2020
Registration Deadline: 5/11/2020
Tuition Deadline: 5/15/2020
June 29, 2020
Application Deadline: 6/3/2020
Documents Deadline: 6/9/2020
Registration Deadline: 6/22/2020
Tuition Deadline: 6/26/2020
August 17, 2020
Application Deadline: 7/22/2020
Documents Deadline: 7/28/2020
Registration Deadline: 8/10/2020
Tuition Deadline: 8/14/2020