Here are five steps to become a nurse in Illinois:
- Complete an approved nursing program.
- Apply for an Illinois nursing license and register for the NCLEX examination.
- Study for and pass the NCLEX exam.
- Secure a job in Illinois as a nurse.
- Once you are a nurse in Illinois, you may choose to pursue a nursing specialty or advanced degree.
How to Apply for a Nursing License in Illinois
To apply for an Illinois nursing license through the Acceptance of Examination method, you must submit an online application via Continental Testing Services (CTS), an outside testing vendor used by the IDFPR. The following is required:
Once you’ve submitted your applications, fees and supporting documents, CTS will review your application and determine your eligibility for Illinois nursing licensure. Pearson VUE will send your Authorization to Test, which is valid for 90 days.
For additional information about Illinois nursing licenses, such as application by endorsement or international applicant requirements, visit the Illinois Board of Nursing website or the IDFPR’s Registered Nurse New Application Checklist.
See Notes and Conditions below for important information.