As you prepare to pursue an online Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree, you may want to be aware of some common challenges of online learning.
Distance Learning Challenges
Students who want to succeed in an online bachelor’s degree program must be disciplined, committed and organized, says U.S. News & World Report. Otherwise, you can get tripped up by the most common challenges of online learning, which include
- Time management — Many students who enroll in an online degree program are also balancing full-time careers and families.
- Minimal social interaction — Online students usually have less face-to-face time with faculty, advisors and classmates.
- Increased personal responsibility — If you need a highly structured environment, the freedom of online courses may be overwhelming, says USA Today.
Tips for Taking Online Classes
Now that you know some of the challenges of online learning, here are some ways to prevent them:
- Develop a study routine and stick to it. For example, working parents may want to study during a lunch break or after children are asleep. It may also help to study elsewhere (a library or coffee shop, for instance) if being at home is too distracting.
- Discuss your plans with others. Let family members, co-workers and your boss know so they can buy in and respect your study time, advises U.S. News & World Report.
- Check in daily. Use your mobile device to keep up with syllabus changes and class discussions. Daily check-ins can also help you stay on schedule and avoid procrastination.
- Connect with classmates. Network with fellow students via social media and course forumsâ€”and in person when possible, says U.S. News.
- Ask for help when you need it. The equivalent of raising your hand in a virtual class is emailing your professor. Let him or her know if you are struggling; he or she cannot help you unless you speak up.
The Online RN to BSN Program
Classes in an online RN to BSN program are convenient, flexible and 100 percent virtual. You will receive clinical training as well as instruction in management, communication, critical thinking, professional ethics and evidence-based nursing practice. Your coursework also includes classes in nursing research and philosophy as well as technology-based health applications.
Tackle the challenges of online learning head-on. Commit to an online RN to BSN program and earn your advanced degree within 15 months.
Learn more about the Purdue Northwest online RN to BSN program.
Have a question or concern about this article? Please contact us.